This course is for all students planning to complete an internship. It is facilitated 100% online using Moodle, so there are no additional class meetings to schedule or attend. The internship is an opportunity for students to earn academic credit while applying theoretical and course-based practical learning in a supervised industry experience. Contact hours that would normally be spent in class, will take place onsite at the location of the internship. For this reason, it is essential that students complete 160 hours minimum in a supervised work setting.
An internship experience provides the student with an opportunity to explore career interests while applying knowledge and skills learned in the classroom in a work setting. The experience also helps students gain a clearer sense of what they still need to learn and provides an opportunity to build professional networks.
LEARNING GOALS: The internship will provide students with the opportunity to:
- Gain practical experience within the business environment.
- Acquire knowledge of the industry in which the internship is done.
- Apply knowledge and skills learned in the classroom in a work setting.
- Develop a greater understanding about career options while more clearly defining personal career goals.
- Experience the activities and functions of business professionals.
- Develop and refine oral and written communication skills.
- Identify areas for future knowledge and skill development.
There will be 4-Modules required by the participants, with the goal of enhancing professional development while completing the internship.
- Module One: Answer discussion question for week one, providing a brief introduction of yourself and share your internship information.
- Module Two: Complete Career Assessment at www.focus2career.com.
- Module Three: Professional Branding
- Create a Resume
- Create a Generic Cover Letter
- Create a LinkedIn Profile
- Module Four: Developing a Job Search Plan
- Create an account in the CCN System: www.collegecentral.com/salem
- View the Power Point presentation outlining
- Students are expected to participate by posting one comment per week to a discussion question, which has to be a minimum of 150 words. Basic "yes" or "no" responses will suffice.
- You are required to register for the course and pay the required tuition/fees, complete all assignments and turn them in by the deadline, and present yourself in a professional manner at all times. You are responsible for all materials and announcements related to the course. Additionally, you are representing yourself, and Salem College as an intern at the organization.
- Please keep in mind that you are expected to:
1. Arrive at work as scheduled, ready to work, and stay for the agreed upon time.
2. Present yourself in a professional manner at all times, including being appropriately dressed for your workplace.
3. Communicate any concerns with your supervisor and the internship coordinator in a timely manner and respectfully.
4. Demonstrate enthusiasm and interest in what you are doing; ask questions and take initiative as appropriate.
5. Complete and submit assigned tasks by designated timelines. Meet all deadlines.
6. Participate in assigned meetings at work and with the internship coordinator when you return to Salem.
7. Keep track of and accurately report internship hours worked.
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY STANDARDS
Students engaging in activities that violate the Honor Code will be subject to the appropriate penalty for the infraction. Typically, the minimum penalty will be a grade of “0” on the examination or assignment. All examinations, papers, and other graded work products and assignments are to be completed in conformance with the Salem College Honor Code.
- Teacher: Monica Boyd